1. Unfollow that annoying friend
Do you have friends who constantly post their daily routines on Facebook?
Instead of ‘unfriending’ them (and risking the hurt that can cause)… simply unfollow them. You’ll never have to know how well they did on Farmville today again.
2. Leverage the power of Facebook Lists
I don’t want to see photos of cute puppies and babies on Facebook all the time. By taking advantage of Facebook Lists, I don’t have to.
Facebook Lists give me control over what shows up in my News Feed.
I can switch from focusing on business to talking with old friends about nothing in particular… with the click of a button.
>> Click to Tweet <<
3. Get notified when your best friends post
Don’t want to miss an important post from an influential or favorite friend?
It’s easy to get notified when they update. That way you won’t miss the news that matters most.
Setting this set up is simple, just head over to THEIR profile, click Friends (the button located on the cover photo), then choose “Get Notifications.”
4. Block irrelevant Facebook ads
I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook ads. Sometimes they are great — and sometimes they annoy me.
When I see something I don’t like, I block it. That stops that ad from showing up on my timeline again.
All you have to do is click the arrow pointing downwards and choose “Hide all ads from (whoever you’re sending to advertiser’s purgatory).”
5. Adjust your News Feed to “Most Recent”
Tired of seeing the same old stuff on your News Feed?
Adjust that by clicking ‘News Feed’ on the top left hand corner of your profile — then click “Most Recent.” [See below for a note about the most recent Facebook News Feed changes.]
Conclusion: Heads-Up About Ongoing Changes
The most recent changes announced by Facebook should accomplish some of what we have talked about here automatically.
So that’s good news.
In any case, you can still make these adjustments manually:
- Unfollow people who don’t add value to your Feed
- Use Facebook Lists to segment your Feed into your chosen categories
- Set up notifications for friends you always want to track
- Block ads that make you crazy
- Adjust your news feed to Most Recent to keep things current