The best way I can explain a hashtag is that it is a way of grouping information together, almost like a file folder. If you opened your filing cabinet and wanted to find everything about Dogs, you would click on #Dogs. But the search results might be too large. So, you might then want to create a new hashtag for #JackRussell. That way your topic is now more narrow.
Hashtags help you easily find out what others are saying about a given topic and to participate to public conversations!
Twitter: Twitter is the birthplace of modern hashtag usage — as such, its hashtags are more versatile than other sites. Twitter feed curates a list of hashtags you might be interested in, based on your tweets.
- On Twitter, the pound sign (or hash) turns any word or group of words that directly follow it into a searchable link. This allows you to organize content and track discussion topics based on those keywords. So, if you wanted to post about the Breaking Bad finale, you would include #BreakingBad in your tweet to join the conversation. Click on a hashtag to see all the posts that mention the subject in real time.
- Allow you to Search for a specific conversation (vs. search term), follow a media event, a program, a personality,…just like on Twitter.
- Being able to see posts coming from other applications, that have been shared on Facebook (Instagram) – many people are ‘cross-posting’ on several networks, including Facebook – it will be easier to # find them
- Being able to click on hashtags in comments or posts directly from the page hashtags, or status updates from friends or pages.
- Overall thought behind having hashtags on Facebook: MONEY AND ENGAGEMENT. – It is a simple way to create more engagement and more monetization opportunities -sponsored hashtags, trends, posts, etc.
Hashtags are used to complement photos shared on Instagram and help you discover new accounts and pick up followers. Some hashtags were created specifically for Instagram photo challenges — #ThrowbackThursday, #TBT, for example, encourages users to post retro photos.
Whats the point? How do YOU benefit from using a HASHTAG?
The beauty of a hashtag is that it brings you into the communication lines of people you don’t know.
When you post without hashtags, you access the people you already know.When you post with hashtags: You make your information searchable by anyone
- You appear in the stream of the hashtag in question
- You meet new people
- You find new resources
- You help people keep track of your relevant posts
- Build an audience and community
Really cool Hashtag search site:
Ways to use a hashtag: